Monday, October 11, 2010

Welcome!

Hey all! Well, to start off this blog is going to follow the 2010 election of the Wisconsin Attorney General. I'm doing this blog for my Political Science class at Cardinal Stritch University.

So I figure the best place to start is the beginning. My first topic is: what the heck does the Attorney General do?!

Honestly, I have no idea, and I would be willing to bet that most people don't know what he does. The problem with finding the answer is that every site I have looked at have been extremely vague. He is the head of the Department of Justice. That's it. Most sights seem to think that that is enough information for the public. The only site that seemed to have more than a few lines of information was the National Association of Attorneys General. This is what they say the Attorney General has the power to do:

"authority to issue formal opinion to state agencies; act as public advocates in areas such as child enforcement, consumer protections, antitrust and utility regulation; propose legislation; enforce federal and state environmental laws; represent the state and state agencies before the state and federal courts; handle criminal appeals and serious statewide criminal prosecutions; institute civil suits on behalf of the state; represent the public's interests in charitable trust and solicitation; and operate victim compensation programs."

This is the best I could find online. It's pretty to the point, but not quite as in "lamens terms" as I would like. This answer still hasn't quite satisfied me though. SO I think it would be best to send the WI Attorney General a letter. I'm going to ask what he does on a daily basis, and maybe suggest that the public is provided with a good source of information on what the responsibilities of the Attorney General are. So the letter is going out tomorrow, and hopefully we will get a reply :)

As for what's coming up, check back in by Wednesday for full profiles of each of the candidates.

Until then, if you want to see what the NAAG website says about the Attorney General for yourself, here's the link:

http://www.naag.org/what_does_an_attorney_general_do.php

Until Wed

Peace

Robyn

2 comments:

  1. Hey Robyn,
    I really liked how you gave a definition of who the attorney general is and what they do! To be honest, I didn't know what the position entailed at all! Also the link was very helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for defining that! I know that I had no idea what the attorney general was! That was really helpful information to me!

    ReplyDelete